Friday, December 2, 2011

Is it possible to master tai chi and wing chun together?

I am willing to study Wing chun and Tai chi together but separately so is it possible to master them both. I don't care how long will it take. and if its possible, i want your opinion on it|||There are no fundamental differences in power generation, just in how specialized they are. WC is for close range fighting, where you cannot move your elbow or shoulder to extend your hand forward (much). Tai Chi, however, is much longer ranged and uses lower stance to accelerate and cover ground more, with concurrently more body momentum. It is designed to train your body to handle excessive amounts of force that can be generated, whereas WC uses a lower tier of body force, by regulating it with a stricter and more rigid stance structure.





Same principles, different applicatons. So long as you keep that in mind, you'll be good to go.|||You need to define what you would consider mastery. Mastery is not the same to everybody. I know people who have trained in Tai Chi for 30 years 8 hours every day I would consider a master but they themselves do not think of themselves as masters becasue they feel they still have so much more to learn and to their seniors who have trained in Tai Chi for 50 years or more and have dedicated their lives to Tai Chi they are not. I also know people who just decided one day that they are masters and expected their students to call them master and they don't have the skill or knowledge to be called masters. Theoretically you could make up a martial arts style and call yourself master of it. So it depends if you wait till someone calls you a master or if you on your own decide you are a master.


It also depends on who you train with. If you aspire to become a master then you will have to train with/from masters. One can not learn to soar like an eagle if you learn from a chicken. To train with true masters is a priviledge not everybody falls into. Masters don't just train anybody.


I think it is possible. With the proper training and the proper attitude nothing is really impossible.|||I studied them both together but didn't master either. I'm not sure any martial art can truly be mastered. One thing for sure is that my Wing Chun got better after I added Tai Chi to my training. Example - After gaining a little skill at push hands, my chi sao also got better. If a training partner tried to shove my arm back into my body I'd redirect it just like it's done in push hands. I certainly see no harm in studying both arts simultaneously.|||Yes. Wing chun Master Hawkins Cheung, for example, is also a tai chi instructor.|||if you have 2 life times to train then yes.


it takes decades to understand one style and a life time to master it

No comments:

Post a Comment