Saturday, November 19, 2011

How long did it take you to earn your tai chi sword?

am on year three of tai chi training and every time I ask the teacher when will I get my sword? He says you know I used to be the one in class who asked stupid questions like that. How long did it take you yahoo answerers?|||It was approximately three years before I learned my sword, but I was also training as an assistant and was at the school everyday for at least 3-4 hours. Traditionally it is considered bad manners to question the teacher when you will learn the sword, however it is also the instructor's responsibility to understand that you may not be as knowledgeable of the customs and kindly explain this to you. And to help give you perspective, in the Chen village (where Tai Chi Chuan originated) it is normal to train the long form for at least 7 - 8 years before moving on to other forms and weapons. This is necessary to instill the appropriate body mechanics and eliminate bad habits.|||I don't know, I do not take Tai Chi, and I am not sure what the sword signifies. i am imagining it is some kind of test or advancement. If that is the case then it is very rude and disrespectful to ask your instructor. You will receive it when he feels you are ready.





You asking is almost like questioning his judgment. In our school if a student asks to test the testing is pushed back at least 6 months, whether they are ready to test or not.





Besides isn't experiencing everything on the journey more fun then reaching the end? That is why I enjoy Traditional Arts, the journey will never end.|||Most of my Tai Chi training came from a little 82 year old man. He barely speaks English, and I don't think he cares about anything along the lines of earning anything like a sword. He asked If I would like to learn the sword. I said sure, and he taught me. No time lines|||Just be patient if you are learning with the teacher, he has the plan for your study.


And if you are interesting, you may have a check of the Taichi sword at http://www.handmadesword.com and other Japanese Swords.

No comments:

Post a Comment