Thursday, November 24, 2011

Suggestions for teaching basics of Tai Chi to Middle Schoolers?

Next year I will have an opportunity to teach 15 young teens Tai Chi for stress reduction. I have some ideas but I was curious to see if some of you out there also could guide me? Thank you.|||I applaud your efforts at teaching our wonderful arts to the youth. However, most middle schoolers are numb to the idea of stress reduction through slow movements. I find that I can reduce their stress through very rigorous exercise first and then later at the end of the class (last 5-10 minutes) introduce them to stretching and meditation. I start with standard warm ups and teaching jibengong. Basic kicks and punches (learning left and right with some coordination) and the Bafa are included in this. Later I teach them wubuquan and its applications. Only after this do I teach them a Taijiquan form. This system works very well for me. I've even taken students who have gone through this program to tournaments and they have all done very well. Many of them are now learning the advanced long forms, fast forms, and weapons. They are also very talented with applications and self defense.





Good luck!|||I don't envy you. You are going to find that most teenagers, especially boys, are too impatient and too self-consciousness to appreciate what you are going to teach. Boys at that age tend to be at the extreme of two attitudes -- underconfident and very unsure or arrogant and fill with self-importance. They mostly want action and they want to look tough and impress the girls; their minds are just not ready for it. You'll have better luck with the girls.|||i teach Taijiquan =) i usually start with a proper warm up... stretching, squatting, then teach them on Yin Pu... then teach them about Beng Li Qi An.. usually it's starts after their yin pu is no longer heavy... if it's still heavy there is no point on teaching them beng li qi an...


my aim for the beginner is to teach them basics of the 24 form Taijiquan first then move on to the 42 taijiquan =)|||I dont know what there is to guide. Just teach them some forms and breathing. Maybe out in a field where its nicer with fresh air than in a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment