Thursday, November 24, 2011

Is it bad to train in Tai Chi alongside Wing Chun?

I have started Wing Chun and would like to do Tai Chi. I do Wing Chun for self defence and fitness and I would like to do Tai Chi for its different health benefits. I am thinking of doing Chen Tai Chi.|||If you find a good Chen Tai Chi teacher then go for it. I believe it is far more difficult to learn 2 styles simultaneously. However, finding a good Chen Tai Chi teacher is so rare that I also believe one should never pass up the opportunity to train under one.|||No.





Tai-Chi of any style is good and compliments any external styles including Wing Chun. I took the opposite direction from you in that I had been studying Tai-Chi for nearly 8 years before I started Wing Chun and after over 15 years I am still doing both along with some other hard style gongfu which I started before I began Tai-Chi.|||No it's not bad. Tai Chi will enhance your wing chun. I trained in both and found that studying Tai Chi (Yang style) helped me to become more relaxed during chi sao practice. If the opponent tried to shove my arm or hand back into me I'd stick and redirect it just like it's done in tai chi's push hands. Study both long enough and you'll see what I mean.|||I agree with ISDS. Finding a good Chen Taijiquan teacher is indeed very rare. Make sure they teach the full curriculum and not just part of it.


I dont know if studying both at the same time will be beneficial to u. Once u start learning Chen Taijiquan ur knees will be extremely sore for at least 8 months. Both are excellent MAs if u can find good teachers but they also require alot of hard work and dedication.


I personally prefer Chen Taijiquan.|||Sure. No problem. I do it.|||Good choice. Tai Chi is good with all styles, its like salt and pepper on any streak.|||Yay another chunnner, with a chun question

No comments:

Post a Comment